Radios, receivers, servos, electronics
 Req Assistance with Futaba 9C Set-up for Scale Sa
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  12:41:39 PM  Show Profile
This may not be about an ESL competition, but you guys are the wizards of the sailplane world. Someone must have some experience with this radio.

I have the original Futaba 9C, not the super.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futj85.html

I am setting up a Ventus 2C scale sailplane with a 4 servo wing. In addition to the usual channels I need tow release now. I am fine with the 8 FM channels that I have today. I want to plan for the addition of the Spoilers and Landing gear in the future.

Here is my initial channel set-up.

1 R Aileron
2 Elevator
3 throttle stick ( used to control landing mixes F/E or Crow)
4 Rudder
5 R Flap
6 L Flap
7 L Aileron
8 tow rel

Future

8 spoilers two on one proportional channel
9 tow rel on/off (under PCM only)

landing gear ?????? - Where can I put the landing gear??????

I recently learned that the Hitec Flash 5SX, the Hitec Optic 6 and the Hitec Eclipse 7 can reassign channel 3 to a switch and take it off the throttle stick. This gives them the ability to use all channels and leave the throttle stick to control the landing mixes without tying up a channel.

On the Futaba 9C, can I take channel 3 off the throttle stick and assign channel 3 to a switch or slider to operate the tow release or landing gear? I only need an on/off type switch, not proportional control.

I can't find any specific reference to it in the manual but realize I might be looking in the wrong place or under the wrong function name. I am OK for today but need to know if I can do this in the future.

==================================

If I can not take channel 3 off the stick, let me take a different approach and see if this will work.

Remember I have the original Futaba 9C, not the super.

Under the new approach this would be my channel set-up.

1 R Aileron
2 Elevator

3 throttle stick -
Switch A up - Operate tow line release servo for launch.
Switch A down - flip switch a and now have crow control on the stick. See note below

4 Rudder
5 R Flap
6 L Flap
7 L Aileron
8 Spoilers
9 Landing Gear ( under PCM )

As an alternative to my original approach above, could I put the tow release on ch 3, on the stick for take-off. This would operate a servo that would control the tow line release.

After I release the tow line, I would flip switch A, which would turn the stick into the control for crow for landing. Would that work?

Switch A would become a flight mode switch at this point. Up for launch and down for landing.

Not my preferred approach, but it would be manageable and have some logic to it. Then I would put the landing gear on ch 9 under PCM and I would have all my functions.

Would this work?

Thanks for your help!

Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums
www.lisf.org
www.RCezine.com
  Previous Topic Topic   
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly