Mantis Building and Flying
 Mantis Data for a rookie!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sharbonda

5 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  8:04:10 PM  Show Profile
My Aegea Mantis is nearly complete. I have never flown a 4-servo wing. I need some help for setting up the radio and for flying technique. I am fairly familiar with my JR 8103 and really only require some opinions as to how to setup the plane for simplicity, in other words I am looking for simple functions which will get me airborne and still be able to have some functionality. I have the Sherman Knight pages and don't feel that I need all that! Do I? I fly hand launch and wonder if I can set up the plane similar to that, and fly it similarly? Should the ailerons be coupled to flaps for landing and flying? Drop the flaps only for landing? What would be some camber changing techniques for flying? This ship is not a v-tail. I guess I'm at a loss with what to do with the flaps as compared to a flaperon! Help!....thanks in advance!

kiesling

45 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  9:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Kevin,

I can tell you how I set up my 8103 for my Supra, which is basically the same as the Aegea Mantis.

First you should look at (copy and paste the following in your web browser)
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kH7MQm2s1yn0GtwLEN4zt853D6qL0V4hgGxbd_flYbt5ptlxnxKOr_-geHZu8g6VZQU6vwW6EMOxhK3kcUgJwRtX_ZZk3_JVbQ/Aegea-3m/wing2b.pdf

This will give you an idea of the throws.

I couple the flaps to the ailerons for flying. I don't recall the exact number I use, but 25-30% would be a good start. I think Mark
suggests 50% based on the drawing in the link above.

I have the three position switch on the front left of the 8103 set up for launch, cruise and speed camber settings. Launch is in the
down position, cruise is in the middle and speed is in the up position. For thermal camber I use the switch on the top left.
I also have elevator to camber mixed all the time. So when I pull up elevator I get positive camber. When I push down elevator I get
negative camber.

For landing I have the flaps come down as much as possible (80+ degrees is ideal - if you can only get 70+ that is okay). I have the
ailerons go up (maybe 10-15 degrees). Of course there is down elevator compensation to keep the model from ballooning. This is all
done with the butterfly function.

I also have another switch that reduces the rudder coupling for speed/aerobatics.

Okay, so that is what I do. To your question about what you need to do for simplicity:
You can probably skip the extra switch for camber (for now). You can skip the reduced rudder coupling switch as well.

You really do want to have the three position switch set up for launch cruise and reflex. This is pretty much a standard and probably
isn't too much different than your HL models. For launch you drop the switch down so you get launch camber. At the top of the launch
you push the 3 position switch all the way forward into reflex and at the same time you dive into the zoom. After about a second you pull
up into a steep climb. Then push over at the top just like a DLG launch. Think of the zoom as a DLG launch except instead of spinning,
your accelerating the model down with the winch. The pull up is just like the release of the DLG launch without the spin. For your
first few launches you should probably skip the zoom and just fly off the line.

I would also try and make use of the elevator to camber mix. Especially if you skip the thermal camber switch. The elvator to camber mix
makes the model fly more efficiently and is no more workload when flying.

As far as flying goes, it is pretty much the same as the HL models. The biggest thing you'll notice is that everything happens much
slower. So you'll have to anticipate things more. This is especially important when you're close to the ground. When you're close
to the ground plan ahead and don't force the model. It will not be as forgiving as a HL. Of course the big models don't circle as
tightly.

The best thing you could do is go to the Daniel Boone contest this weekend. I can bring my 8103 and I can show you how I have it programed.
We can also help you set up your new model.

Tom

Edited by - kiesling on 07/06/2005 9:52:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

sharbonda

5 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  10:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Right on the money with this reply Tom, Thanks. Try to get it ready for this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

kiesling

45 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  10:09:18 PM  Show Profile
After thinking about it, it would probably make sense to put the launch switch on the top left (butterfly switch) -instead of the thermal camber
and put the thermal camber on the three position switch. This is how I have it set up on my 9303. This is also how my DLG models are set up
(launch preset is on the butterfly switch - thermal camber, cruise and reflex are on the three position switch).
I think the only reason I had launch camber on the three position switch for my winch launched models is a legacy thing - starting with the
old 347. I don't think there are enough mixes with that radio to put the launch camber on the butterfly switch. . .

Anyway something to consider.

Tom

Edited by - kiesling on 07/06/2005 10:19:58 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000