Team Based Competition
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

reckb

1 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  2:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Regis White's Reply from ESLtalk

I like Breck’s Idea. I think we compete for two basic reasons: to win and/or because it is fun. Those who only do it to win drop out when they don’t. And those who do it for fun will drop if it isn’t. So any extra ‘games’ can only help. Eventually, it may be necessary to define how teams are made up to prevent ringers. And maybe even handicaps for teams with novice members. Perhaps even add a slot for a novice flyer. If your team has no novice, then that it must compete with 4 against 5. The import thing is to keep it fun for all. It is also important to recruit new flyers. A novice with a Gentle lady or Sprit doesn’t think he belongs in a contest. But give him a reason and the ability to contribute to the ‘team’ and we have a new contest flyer.
One again I tried to use the ESL forms to post this reply. I was able to register (to the forms) a few days ago but I never receive a confirmation email - and now not able to log in to forms. ????? Regis
----------------------------

Initial Post:

I suggest we are in a teaching phase and I think a good method is team scores. So CRRC can show with
4 fliers and they fly as a coherent element. Teams have 2 expert and 2 novice. The biggest award goes to the
winning team. Individual scores are less important. Mirror team efforts at the worlds. Make the novice category
truely novice.

breck

Edited by - reckb on 09/27/2005 2:56:35 PM

jsteifel

40 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  3:32:54 PM  Show Profile
I like it too. We used to do this when I joined the ESL, but I didn't know anyone back then and I wasn't decent. So I was afraid no one would team with me. Then Dale, Ron Bates , John Parks and I started teaming (not all at once, a team of 3).. we weren't good but it added to the fun.

I hated when I dragged the team down, but felt great when I added something.

Definetly an area to bring back...
But I don't think we need to put the CD to the task of picking up trophies.
Maybe a dollar a man entry, and the winner gets the dough...
But we have to eliminate teams made up of all the cream of the crop. They will win, it has to be an even mix...
And there in lies the rub...

Jeff Steifel
Go to Top of Page

F3jeb

103 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  3:36:12 PM  Show Profile
For those who weren't there (like myself), could some one explain how it worked in more detail? and how it integrated with the rest of the contest format?
Go to Top of Page

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  4:52:48 PM  Show Profile
Jose,

It was really simple. Before the pilot's meeting we would allow creation of 4-man teams. In theory each team was supposed to be only members of a single club, but that rule was pretty much ignored. Also, there was no rule about sportsmen and experts, any 4 could become a team. Then at the end of the contest the cumulative scores of the teams were added up and the team with the highest total score wold pich up the team award.

It was fun, but I was never picked for a team because I wasn't good enough, boohooo.

Anker
Go to Top of Page

jsteifel

40 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  2:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Do we have a database of what pilots belong to what clubs?
Can we build a list.. Just curious.
CRRC has the biggest draw . NJSS has a local only thing... DBSF and LISF. wish it were more.
Maybe we can add to the fun and figure out a club contest, or build virtual clubs ( clubs that only exist on ESL paper) for a season and work out some of the details ...a virtual club can't be comprised of all top fliers like Tom, Mike, Josh... they must be comprised of a mix... But maybe I was wrong and there are other clubs with a strong presence. BASS used to be big..
CASA.... When real clubs don't exist for people we build them virtually and then we add some fun of Brecks idea back in.
Anyone have an idea how to fairly do that...???

There are 2 questions here database and fair virtual clubs.

Then we can either do contest by contest or end of season... or both.
Hopefully guys get a kick in the pants out of that.

Jeff Steifel
Go to Top of Page

regis

2 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  4:51:53 PM  Show Profile
I sent the following to esltalk before I joined 'forms':
Most competitive sports are structured like a pyramid. Lots of novices at the bottom and a few world class at the top. It seems ESL has it backwards. Sportsman should have more entrants then experts. ESL can boast it's share of world class flyers and should be proud of the support it provided. Quite successfully don't you think?
Perhaps it is up to the local clubs to foster more fun events. I am looking forward to the CASA - BASS Challenge because I think it may be a fun event. My understanding is that it will be Open class TD. Let me suggest a format that two clubs might try at some future date to spread the fun around. How about a Challenge with several different classes? But limit the number of events any one flyer flies to two. Sort of like a track meet (many events). But provide an event for the two-meter RES where the flyer only competes against other two-meter RES planes. The host club should recruit three members to fly each event. This could include DLG, woody, RES classic, RES unlimited and even electric events (and perhaps F3B!). With entrants limited to two events only, some planning and persuasion will be needed to get all the 'lanes' filled. But this way a club could get more members involved at a level they might feel comfortable with. The host club sets the events and sends the 'challenge' to the other club to meet the challenge. If you had six events with three entrants in each you need from nine to 18 flyers. Score 3, 2, 1 for first, second, third but also award points for the club with the most flyers equal to the difference. I.e., if the host club fields 10 and the challenged club fields 15, then the challenged club gets five points toward final score. Regis

Regis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000