Eastern Soaring Talk
Eastern Soaring Talk
Home | Active Topics | Search | FAQ

Please register to post in these Forums
 All Forums
 ESL TALK
 Open discussion
 Where can I get Foamular 600 or HiLoad 60 foam?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  1:43:14 PM  Show Profile
Guys,
I am interested in doing some cutting of my own wings and am having trouble finding a supplier in NY (or elsewhere) where I can purchase some Dow HiLoad 60 or Corning Foamular 600. I was thinking about trying to make the Super Gee 2.

Any suggestions as to where I can buy either of these?

Does anyone have a preference of one over the other? I think most of the specs on the Corning are slightly better than the Dow but the Dow might be lighter (I'm not sure).

thanks

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  1:52:25 PM  Show Profile
I live in NY, Upstate, and there aren't any suppliers of hi density foam around, I looked from LI to Lake George, the closes distributor I found was in MA, I did get a large quantity of it - HiLo 60, If you aren't able to find any, let me know and I might be able to help.

Jose
Go to Top of Page

kiesling

45 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  2:35:45 PM  Show Profile
Actually, for strength the Dow is prefered over the Corning. Mark Drela did some measurements and the Dow has slightly higher strength.

In general though I think you'll find that the foam varies from batch to batch. The manufacturers only real obligation is
to make sure the foam meets the minimum compressive strength requirements. So you may find the density varies quite a bit
between batches.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  11:08:56 PM  Show Profile
I just may take you up on your offer. I called Owens Corning and they told me to call 84 Lumber of Smithtown but when they got back to me they wanted me to buy over 100 sheets regardless the thickness. Give me a week or so and maybe I'll take you up on your offer. I would love to find someone close but will take what I can get. Thanks again for the offer.
Go to Top of Page

billgroft

1 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  09:28:14 AM  Show Profile
I bought my High Load 60 from Marjam Supply. They have warehouses all over the east coast http://www.marjam.com/contact_us/index.html

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  5:26:38 PM  Show Profile
I just got off the phone with MArjam and they said that it had to be special ordered (did not have it in stock). They suggested an alternative Dow product called Plazamate. the specs are:
compressive strength 60 psi
flexural strength 75psi
all others are about the same as Hiload except that it absorbs less water ( may absorb less epoxy then too, I don't know). They said the only difference was that it has a drainage channel in it. I was directed to the Hicksville store for comercial product inquiries.

This is the Plazamate info:
http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiterature/dh_0413/09002f1380413cf2.pdf
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  10:49:24 AM  Show Profile
Marjam just got back to me and said that they can only order one pallet min. That would be 96 sheets at $18.06/sheet = $1733.76. I am unfortunately not looking to order that much. I only need about ~30 sheets for myself and a few others. Which Marjam Supply (location) did you get it from? How much did you have to order?

If there are others in the Long Island area that want to go together on an order then maybe I'll get a pallet. I am still waiting to hear from Allied Building Supply.

The Dow website for Plazamate is
http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/na/pro-us/products/plazamate.htm

Unfortunately the channel is 1/2" deep running on the top surface so it would limit its useful size.
Go to Top of Page

mikel

106 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  9:40:42 PM  Show Profile
If the drainage channel is only at the edge, then who cares. You'll loose that cuting out the shape for your core. If the channel is only 1/4 deep and is in the middle of the sheet, it's still probably OK. You don't cut the core all the way to the surface of the sheet. You might even want to skim off the surfaces since they tend to have a lot of stresses in them from the extrusion process. Helps avoid the curl of the beds when cutting the core.
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  12:54:18 PM  Show Profile
I rechecked and the channel is on the long edge of the sheet. If a wing is say 1 inch thick, how thick should the foam be if I am taking a little off the top and bottom of the sheet to prevent curling? I am thinking of getting 2" thick sheets. Should I go for the 3" instead?

The only thing I am concerned with is how much of the bending load does the foam take say in the Super Gee II dlg or the Supra 3M gliders. If the spars are doing all the work and its the compressive strength that is the only thing that matters then I might try the Plazamate. Otherwise the 10psi less flexural strength migh come into play.

I emailed Marjam and they responded saying that it should not be a problem to get some HiLoad 60 transferred from another warehouse if available. I spoke to them locally and none seems to be at this time so the only way to get it is to order a pallet quantity for now. They did say that if a pallet was started they would sell pieces off.
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  9:17:24 PM  Show Profile
Allied Building Products in Hicksville ((516) 733 -2900) sells the Plazamate for $20 a sheet 2" x 2' x 8' . I was told by a very reliable source that it is the same as the HiLoad 60. Thanks for all that have responded.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000