The Novice Lounge
 The Joy of the Hunt
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  11:28:22 PM  Show Profile
When you go to a true glider, no motor to fall back on, you commit to the extra work that comes with true soaring. It is like going into the forest for a week with nothing but your knife and your brain. You know that you are going to starve at times but when you find that rabbit, or that blackberry patch, it will taste oh so good.

I have spent many days launching and landing my sailplanes and not caught any lift in the first few launches. I might pull out a small electric for a while and take a break, then come back to soaring later. Often that dead quiet period of no lift will pass and launches start finding lift everywhere.

It is like going fishing. You cast over here and you cast over there. The fish just don't seem to be biting. But somehow the experience is so pleasureable that it doesn't really matter. So you keep hunting, keep casting, keep trying new places.

There have even been days when I was pretty sure there was no lift out there. I might go 10 or 15 launches with little lift, but I am still enjoying the hunt.

THEN - oh baby, was that a waggle on the wing?.... turn gently, you don't want to scare the thermal .... ooooh I think I am holding altitude ... quiet, don't breath ..... looooking .... testing ... where did it go? ..... Ahhhhh, got it!

Climb baby climb! You have been working hard for me today. Drink it in, take your fill as you rise into the sky. It has been a challenging hunt, but ohhhh the joy, the excitement, the satisfaction of the hunt that ends in a full measure. ( glad I switched to that big receiver pack )

Now, don't take too much. Don't let it get down wind toooooooo far or you are going to need those poles to get it out of the trees as you fall short of the field. You only have the energy you take from the sky so be smart about it.

Time to turn for home baby so come on around.

I would swear that plane is smiling at me. Was that a wink, or just a flash off the monokote.

Those power guys will just never understand. They will never truly know the joy of flying, really flying, as it was meant to be.

Oh, is that another bump? ........ Wonderful!

Just me and my sailplane and God's own blue sky. And not a sound, 'cept the pounding in my ears .... I got another one!

Oh, the joy of the hunt!

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums
Long Island Silent Flyers

Edited by - aeajr on 06/03/2008 09:24:28 AM

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  09:18:17 AM  Show Profile
Are you a hunter? Perhaps you can share your hunting story or your hunting technique.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000