The Novice Lounge
 Magpie AP as a glider??
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheDustyPagan

4 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  08:23:42 AM  Show Profile
I'm totally new to the soaring/gliding aspect of RC Airplanes. But to get right to the point.... My question to all you experts is...

Is it possible.. (and probable).. to use a Magpie AP as a glider..?

My reason... I want to have a plane that I can keep in the air.. (on a thermal).. for a reasonable amount of time, without using the prop very much or not at all once i'm up there... That way with some luck.. (and practice).. I can take pictures for much longer than the typical 15-20 minutes or so you'd get from a (3s)LiPo-2100 pack.

So do you think the Magpie would be a considerable choice? Or am I just better off buying another plane all together?

Thanks for your advice guys!!

~TheDustyPagan~ (aka.. Tim)

Duane

24 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  12:11:48 PM  Show Profile
Any airplane can glide, it's just a question of how efficient it is at it. Given the Magpie's fairly low aspect ratio of 6 (compared to over 9 for a Gentle Lady) and a likely wing loading over 8-9 oz/sq ft, I wouldn't expect good thermal performance except on really good days. However, it does look like a good camera platform. If you buy an extra battery pack or two, you can be back up in the air while you charge a pack.

Duane
CASA, FARM, LSF
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  9:06:36 PM  Show Profile
The standard Magpie has a wing loading in the 6.5 ounce range based on the 46" slow fly wing and an all up weight of 12 ounces.

The Magpie AP has a 54" wing to help carry the greater weight. The plane is 19 ounces and a 20%larger wing area. So, even without camera or battery the plane is 50% heavier with only a 20% increase in wing area.

It will glide and I would say it will thermal OK when the lift is good but once you start loading it up with cameras and such your wing loading will go up and so will your aerodynamic drag.

If you want to use a glider approach to AP there are many gliders that would work.

Or, you could simply make a larger wing for the Magpie to decrease the wing loading.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

TheDustyPagan

4 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  11:25:28 AM  Show Profile
I was actually thinking.... suppose I make a straight (no dehedral) wing for the magpie, somewhere around 72" length. Don't use the camera.. and add ailerons to that wing.

Do you think that would work if I got the right combination of design and wing loading?

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  8:10:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TheDustyPagan

I was actually thinking.... suppose I make a straight (no dehedral) wing for the magpie, somewhere around 72" length. Don't use the camera.. and add ailerons to that wing.

Do you think that would work if I got the right combination of design and wing loading?

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)

A larger wing will certainly make the wing loading lighter but the ratio of wing to tail might not work well. If it is not too hard to try you might give it a shot.

I have thermaled my Aerobird many times.

A key to helping the glide on the Magpie would be a break on the ESC. If the prop keeps spinning it creates a drag effect. If you stop the proop it reduces drag a lot. If you can put a folding prop on it that would reduce drag even further.

You should be able to thermal that plane.

Have you ever considered trying it slope soaring. I bet it would do very well on the slop in moderate conditions.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  11:28:02 AM  Show Profile
How did your Magpie turn out?

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

TheDustyPagan

4 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  4:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Well, im using the AXI 2808/24 with a Jeti 30A ESC (with brake). You're right... she'd thermal over a lighter, lol. I don't have a folding prop on her, just an APC 9X4.7 SlowFly for now.

And I custom built a wing, similar in shape as the stock magpie ap wing... but with no dihedral and I put ailerons on her too. it's 60" from wingtip to wingtip, and about 14" at it's thickest point of width.

I'll tell ya.. it's nice to just float around on a thermal, and snap pictures for what seems like forever!

Thanks again for the advice!

~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  4:50:48 PM  Show Profile
How about posting some of your photos. We would love to see them. They would need to be about under 100K to be able to upload.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

TheDustyPagan

4 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  6:04:44 PM  Show Profile
Great idea.... I'll upload some, as soon as I figure out how, lol.
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  7:58:49 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TheDustyPagan

Well, im using the AXI 2808/24 with a Jeti 30A ESC (with brake). You're right... she'd thermal over a lighter, lol. I don't have a folding prop on her, just an APC 9X4.7 SlowFly for now.

And I custom built a wing, similar in shape as the stock magpie ap wing... but with no dihedral and I put ailerons on her too. it's 60" from wingtip to wingtip, and about 14" at it's thickest point of width.

I'll tell ya.. it's nice to just float around on a thermal, and snap pictures for what seems like forever!

Thanks again for the advice!

~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page