Eastern Soaring Talk
Eastern Soaring Talk
Home | Active Topics | Search | FAQ

Please register to post in these Forums
 All Forums
 General Soaring - Not exclusive to ESL
 Radios, receivers, servos, electronics
 Are you flying 2.4 GHz for Composite Sailplanes?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cluft

14 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  4:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Now that the DBSF contest is over I am happy to report that My superV flew very well with the Xtremelink system. I had full positive control at all times even with the plane far out at the limits of my sight. It seems that I may have had better control and feel.

After the first day I cycled the batteries and the receiver battery had plenty of power remaining. the transmitter used about the same as before.

The only negative thing to report is that I now only have one more excuse for bad flying, "The nut that's holding the stick on the transmitter!"

Carl Luft
Go to Top of Page

mikel

106 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  9:18:18 PM  Show Profile
I had a chance to fly the Native 9303 2.4 Transmitter for 2M at the Nats. I borrowed one of the TX from John Diniz and was able to transfer my existing 9303 program to the new TX. System response is quicker with the native DSM built in compared to the Spectrum module. Can't wait to get my transmitter, hopefully soon...
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  10:17:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mikel

I had a chance to fly the Native 9303 2.4 Transmitter for 2M at the Nats. I borrowed one of the TX from John Diniz and was able to transfer my existing 9303 program to the new TX. System response is quicker with the native DSM built in compared to the Spectrum module. Can't wait to get my transmitter, hopefully soon...

So, are you saying you are flying your Spektrum receivers in high carbon fuselages? Any wiskers sticking out? Any kind of antenna extensions?

Any overall tips for those of us who want to go 2.4 in our sailplanes?

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  12:08:05 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cluft

I'll pass along a flight report when I have something to report

Carl

Carl,

Any flight reports to share? Lots of us are watching this 2.4 GHz stuff pretty closely. You and Mike are leading the way. Thanks!

Ed

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

cluft

14 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  01:36:40 AM  Show Profile
I flew the DBSF open contest and also the monthly club contests at DBSF and I'm really impressed with the way the plane flies and the solid control I have. I now believe, that I had more glitches flying 72Mhz and never realized it,at the time. It's like compareing AM radio to digital XM radio, no static noise or hiss or ignition noise, just clear sound. I just received a second receiver and I'm installing it in my eclipse and should be flying it this fall.

I'll be at DBSF sunday the 26th for our club contest 12:00 noon and everyones welcome.

Carl
Go to Top of Page

cluft

14 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  02:18:27 AM  Show Profile

>Any overall tips for those of us who want to go 2.4 in our sailplanes?

>Best regards,
>Ed Anderson
>ESL Content Editor
>aeajr on the forums

As I see it there's 2 problem areas with 2.4Ghz

Carbon and voltage

If your fuse is all carbon and you put your antenna inside you won't be flying. If your fuse has some carbon and some fiberglass you may be fine as long as the range check is good. Theres no way of knowing if it's gonna work until you try it.

All this hi-tech electronics stuff we put in our planes needs POWER. please pay close attention to batteries and wire size and quality of connectors so that all that electric gets to those servos. I reading snipets on forums about people haveing glitches and lockups then finding out that the BEC can't supply the juice UNDER HIGH LOADS.

Carl L.
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  08:05:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Carl. Your reports and Mike's reports are most valuable to all of us.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  06:25:44 AM  Show Profile
Two excellent discussions about various people flying composite sailplanes on 2.4 GHz. Supras and Avas and the like. And they are being flown high and far using Spektrum systems.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733394

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732405

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums

Edited by - aeajr on 08/27/2007 06:28:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  11:51:08 AM  Show Profile
There have been several reports on the forums of tests where more than 40 2.4 GHz systems have been on, and in use at the same time with no issues. So the concern that existed at one time that there might be a 40 systems limit has been dispelled.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
Go to Top of Page

mikel

106 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  10:07:59 AM  Show Profile
FYI, if you get a 2.4 fuselage for a Supra with the kevlar front end, be sure you glue in the ballast tube. The tube apparently handles the loads of the wing on "agressive" landings. Otherwise you may find the fuse starts failing at the front of the pylon fairing. Glue to the rings as well as front end.

Or you could try adding some additional cloth inside.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000