Open discussion
 2007 contest season - scoring
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  10:02:00 AM  Show Profile
In just a couple of weeks the first contest of the 2007 season will be on. I would like to share a few paragraphs about the scoring system and how you can get the most value out of it before we immerse ourselves in flying.

As the score keeper, my main responsibilities are to

. Collect scores from each contest
. Deal with any issues that may be in the scores
. Enter the scores into the historical database
. Post the scores on the ESL web site
. Maintain overall season standings for expert and sportsman flyers
. Post the season standings on the ESL web site
. Ensure that flyers compete in the correct class

To help me do this, I need assistance from the flyers and the CDs in the following areas:

. First and foremost, register for contests in your correct class - I correct any errors, but it is much easier if your do it correctly. Contact me if you are in any doubt about your class. Be aware that you may be in different classes for hand launch and thermal duration, which are scored separately.
. If at all possible, register for contests on the ESL web site. This simplifies the job for both myself and the CD
. CDs should send the scores to me in machine readable format immediately after the contest. Excel is the preferred format, but I can handle pretty much everything, as long as it is machine readable

The season standings are a lot of fun, and as we get to the end of the season, many flyers compete intensely for the top 10 spots in each class. Especially sportsmen who have accumulated enough advancement points to be promoted to experts like to have a go at the number 1 sportsman spot for the season.

For the end of season scoring we only count your 5 best scores in hand launch and your 6 best scores in thermal duration. This gives flyers who compete in more than this number of contest days a big advantage, because their worst scores get taken out of consideration. So if you want to get into the top 10 in your class, go to a lot of contests! The last year I was in sportsman class I went to every contest in the season. So did my main competition, Annemarie Glaab, and the top spot wasn't settled until the very end of the season.

This is the first season where we have a well formulated novice class. We deliberately do not record season scores for novices. The purpose of novice class is to allow them to participate in contests, become familiar with flying, and make new friends, all without competitive pressures. Have your friends and fellow club members come to the local ESL contest as novices. We are sure they will enjoy themselves.

We are currently having an on-line vote that will determine whether the sportsman to expert advancement rules that were voted in last season should be deferred for one year. It looks almost certain that the membership will vote for the deferment. If you haven't read the minutes, the change is to count ALL advancement points that have been earned by the flyer, instead of just those earned in the last two years.

The advancement system is fundamentally simple. If you end up in the top 10 overall places in a contest you will earn contest points. 10 for a first place, 9 for second, etc. If there are fewer than 20 contestants we do adjust for that, so it you make first place in a contest with only 10 contestants you will only get 5 advancement points. Once you have earned a total of 20 advancement points as a sportsman you will be advanced to expert the next season.

Class changes can also be made outside of the advancement point system. You can always promote yourself from sportsman to expert. And you can request permission from the ESL board to go from expert to sportsman if your flying skills have deteriorated.

If you have any questions about scoring, please contact me by email or by phone.

Have a great season/Anker

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  10:21:20 AM  Show Profile
I just got a question about what class a flyer should start in.

The rule is that you choose the class when you go to your first contest. Remember than hand launch and thermal duration are different, so even if you are a thermal duration expert, you can start as a sportsman in hand launch.

We do tust that you start in a class that is appropriate to your flying skills.

Anker
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  8:52:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Anker. Great write-up!

You mentioned the different classes. For anyone who is not clear on the ESL classes, this articles will help. If you have questions on the Novice Program, this will definately help.

http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums

Edited by - aeajr on 04/25/2007 8:55:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page