Open discussion
 What do you do during the winter?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  11:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Are you a warm weather flyer and a cold weather builder?

Or, do you fly year round?

Maybe you do both.

In the winter I still fly as often as I can. I still try to average one day a weekend, though the weather is more likely to thwart me in the winter than the summer.

Snow doesn't bother me too much, as long as it is not actually falling from the sky. While hi-starts can be damaged by cold weather, the winch works fine. A path walked in the snow to put in the turn around can be enough for the line to run. And landing on the snow can be fun and .... kinda beautiful.

Heat packs in the shoes or the gloves my sometimes be necessary though. I have several pairs of gloves with a small hole cut in the thumb so I can feel the sticks. I have been thinking about a transmitter glove too.

My down filled bibber overalls, from my skiing days, were revivied a couple of years ago and are now my "slope soaring pants". I also have several kinds of hoods, scarves and the like.

When the wind comes up, it is more likely to be from the North in the winter time. Most of my slope soaring sites face north, so that is a good thing. Of course 20 mph winds and 10 degrees in temperature does require a little more thought about clothing and layers, but after a few years I got the combination right. ( Where are my slope soaring pants? )

There is a "little" more time in the winter for maintenance and repair as snow storms or ice or rain or high winds from the wrong direction do interfere ... just a little. But still, I fly nearly as much in the winter as in the summer.

How about you? What do you do in the winter?

Any special projects on the table for the colder part of the year?

I would love to hear what you are up to this winter. And, if you are going to be on Long Island, let's go slope soaring or thermaling. Don't worry about the snow, it makes for soft landings.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000