Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  5:43:29 PM  Show Profile
THE ESL, THE LSF, AND YOU
by David Beach

The Eastern Soaring League (ESL) was formed in 1977 and its mission is to "Enhance the sport of radio controlled (R/C) thermal soaring through the establishment and maintenance of reasonable standards for contest operations". That is great for contests, but clearly there is more to soaring than just competition.

Another soaring organization, the League of Silent Flight (LSF), was established by a group of RC sailplane modelers in 1969 to provide a collective identification for radio control sailplane enthusiasts in the United States and abroad. The LSF bylaws list its two main purposes:

"Provide collective identification for active radio control soaring enthusiasts throughout the world and to recognize individual proficiency and accomplishment through a defined program of standard performance criteria for radio controlled (R/C) model sailplanes."

"Foster and support all phases of sporting and competitive activity for R/C model sailplanes; to encourage personal and collective advancement in knowledge of aerodynamics and related arts and sciences; and to promote the general interest in soaring flight."

Leading the LSF is a board of four elected volunteer officials. There are also many other volunteers who freely give their time and effort to assist the board.

The LSF board, through its volunteers and membership, are responsible for:
„h Organizing the Soaring National Championships (Nats)
„h Representing soaring interests to the AMA as a recognized special interest group (especially regarding competition rule making)
„h Organizing the World Soaring Masters competition
„h Record keeping for the Soaring Accomplishment program (see the summary below)
„h Maintaining the web site http://www.silentflight.org

In order to become a member of the LSF you must submit the ¡§aspirant pledge¡¨ to the league. In response you will receive a blue soaring accomplishment voucher for Level I. Upon acceptance by LSF of a correctly completed Level 1 voucher, you will become a full member of the League of Silent Flight.

LSF Soaring Accomplishment Program Summary
Level I II III IV V

Thermal Duration

5 min. 15 min. 30 min. 1 hr. 2 hr.

Slope Duration 15 min. 1 hr. 2 hrs. 4 hrs. 8 hrs.

Landings
Lvl 1 5 at 3 meters
Lvl 2 10 at 1.5 meters
LVL 3-5 No landing requirements.

Goal and Return
Lvl 1 and 2 None
Lvl 3 1 km. (0.62 mi)
Lvl 4 2 km. (1.24 mi)
Lvl 5 10 km. (6.2 mi)

Competition (best six)
Lvl 1 None
Lvl 2 1 place or 3,000 pts ( min 5 contestants)
Lvl 3 2 places or 4,500 pts (min 10 contestants)
Lvl 4 2 places and 1 win or 6,000 pts. (min 15 contestants)
Lvl 5 3 wins and 12,000 pts (min 20 contestants)

In order to become a member of the LSF you must submit the “aspirant pledge” to the league.
http://www.silentflight.org/LSF_Base/scriptpplication.htm

In order to make joining easier, the LSF Club Coordinator program was formed. Club coordinators keep LSF pledge sheets and Level I vouchers available for immediate sign-up. That way a potential LSF member can start working on completing the Level I tasks as soon as they sign the pledge. The club coordinator collects the signed pledge sheet and $2 filing fee and hands out the Aspirant's blue voucher on the spot.

Obviously, ESL contests provide great opportunities for LSF members to complete competition tasks. Also, open flying sessions before and after the contest provide opportunities for work on thermal duration and/or precision spot landing tasks. Some of the ESL contest sites may also offer opportunities for working on goal and return tasks that might be more easily achieved at a contest site than at the pilot's home field. (Dare I even mention that there may also be good slope sites near ESL contests?)

Are you interested in becoming an LSF member? Would you enjoy the challenge of completing Soaring Accomplishment tasks? You can start today by filling out the attached LSF Aspirant Pledge and mailing it to the AMA. If you forget, see me (or any other LSF club coordinator) at your home field or contest site to get started. Open flying at ESL contests is a great place to work on LSF tasks and improving your skills.

Speaking from personal experience, I've found the soaring accomplishment program to be fun, challenging, and personally rewarding. In the last four years I've managed to complete levels I through IV. Along the way I've learned a lot about soaring, made many new friends, and done things that I¡¦m sure will be fond lifetime memories. What more could you ask for? Join now, or at the next contest, and keep your blue sheet handy.

Edited by - aeajr on 09/07/2008 5:48:34 PM

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  5:46:39 PM  Show Profile
BUILDING PARTICIPATION IN CLUB AND ESL CONTESTS
by Ed Anderson

David Beach’s article talks about the League of Silent Flight Soaring Achievement program. Over the past few years I have had many people encourage me to give this program a try. I finally took a look and decided to start the LSF program myself. It looked like an interesting set of challenges, some of which would expose me to parts of soaring that I would not otherwise experience.

As I looked at the tasks and the flow of the program I also saw an opportunity to work with the LSF program as a way to prepare and encourage pilots to participate in contest flying at my club. This would be in the context of training rather than competition.

Starting at LSF level II, the pilot must participate in a minimum of 6 contests in order to test their developing skills and demonstrate a level of proficiently. The contests become the way the pilot measures their training progress. This takes the concept of contest flying from the area of competition into the area of pilot training.

I believe, if properly approached, the developing pilot will be eager to enter contests in order to measure their progress and to allow them to advance to the next LSF level. This is a great way to introduce new pilots into the fun of contests.

Starting at level III, contests must have a minimum of 10 participants. At this and the more advanced levels, ESL contests would be a very attractive way to meet these requirements.

I have begun to encourage members of our club to sign up for the LSF program. Our club now has a newly appointed LSF club coordinator who will help speed up the registration process. Working the program will become a club project that supports the individual flyer as they progress through the levels.

Since introducing the LSF program at the last club meeting several members have submitted their applications and some have already completed level 1. We are having active discussions on the field about the tasks that we will perform at the higher levels. And we are counting the contests to see when we will be able to advance to the next level.

I believe this is going to be a positive addition to the activities of our club. If you do not currently have an active LSF program in your club, you may wish to consider incorporating the LSF tasks into your club's regular activities. As members move through the tasks and levels, they will gain confidence and will look forward to the contest portion of the program and flying in the ESL contests.

If you have experience with integrating the LSF program into your club's activities I would really like to get your tips and ideas on how to make this work. I am also looking for ideas on how we might be able to incorporate the LSF program into the ESL. The more active the LSF program is in the clubs, the more likely those club members will join the fun at the ESL contests.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000