The Daniel Boone Silent Fliers Contest 7/10-11
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  10:18:04 PM  Show Profile
Dear ESL:

The Daniel Boone Silent Fliers contest at the Daniel Boone Homestead this past weekend went off without a glitch. Other then a minor problem with the rain on Saturday. :-))) Pottstown had almost 4 inches from late Friday night till about 3 PM on Saturday. I'm sure Daniel Boone got almost as much.

Edited by - aeajr on 08/20/2010 10:21:26 PM

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  10:19:55 PM  Show Profile
Dear ESL:

The Daniel Boone Silent Fliers contest at the Daniel Boone Homestead this past weekend went off without a glitch. Other then a minor problem with the rain on Saturday. :-))) Pottstown had almost 4 inches from late Friday night till about 3 PM on Saturday. I'm sure Daniel Boone got almost as much.

But, we still had a contest on Saturday. By 2 or 3 PM the rain stopped and 19 very dedicated and hardcore ESL members helped me get 4 ESL and a pop off winch set up in half an hour, while Luis and JoAnn put the scorers tent and registration together. Once we got everything set we flew 5 rounds of man on man till, I think, about 6:30 PM. The conditions were actually quite good with light NW wind and temps in the 80s, but with some humidity.

The winch lines ran 600 feet to the turnarounds and launches were quite good with very few broken lines during both days. This is a great help to any CD and I appreciate how people handled the equipment this past weekend.

(Before I forget, we had about 10 pilots out flying on Friday off a winch and a retriever Dave Beach was kind enough to set up.)

I've noticed over the last few ESL contests how the Supras are coming to dominate the ESL, just like the Mantis used to. But there are still people flying Perfects, Explorers and a Satori. This past Saturday was no exception.

Saturday's contest had 4 Sportsman with Duane Beck finishing in third flying an older model with bagged wings, and I can not recall what model that was. In second place was John Marion flying a Super Ava and in first was Preston Heller flying an Explorer with the extended tips.

In expert on Saturday we 14 had pilots in expert and a very tight race. Check the scores section in the ESL website to see how close the top 9 guys were.

In third place flying a Supra was James Griffeth, in second place flying a Satori was Reto Fiolka and in first place flying a Supra was Mike Lachowski.

On Sunday we had a great day. The wind was mostly light and variable, with the drift from the NW. Again we had 600 foot winch lines. It was sunny with great lift and no rain. We got started at about 9 AM after Tony Guide did some emergency surgery to replace a bad solenoid in one of the winches. We got in 6 rounds with a 20 minute lunch break and the last round did start before 2 PM.

We had 28 pilots for Sundays contest with Luke Glaab flying in novice on both days and winning novice on both days. Good for Luke!

In Sportsman we had Preston Heller finish in third with his Explorer, Duane Beck in second and in first place Dave Ashinsky flying his Super Ava. At least I think he was flying his Super Ava. That's what I remember.

In expert it was another close one with Mike Lachowski finishing in third, Josh Glaab in second and Reto Fiolka taking first.

I have to mention what a huge help JoAnn Bustamante, Dawn Huffman and Vera Griffeth are in the scorer's tent. Without them nothing works well or quickly and the scorer's tent is the key to any good contest. In addition Dave Beach and Tony Guide were immense help to me on the winch line.

We did run a seeded man on man contest on Sunday and it seemed to go over well. I think we will try seeded man on man again.

Please feel free to add anything I might have left out.

Which reminds me, congratulations to John Marion for getting his one hour LSF thermal flight completed on Sunday after the contest. John was flying his Super AVA and we were pretty sure he could see it, most of the time. :-)) John how high did it get?

Steve Lucke

----------------------

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000