Open discussion
 ALES competitions
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gldrgidr

22 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  9:58:50 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone here talked about including Altitude Limited Electric Sailplane contests under the ESL umbrella.
These contests are becoming very popular. They are TD contests without winches.

Everyone starts out at the same altitude limited by an electronic motor control call the CAM unit. These devices turn off the motor when the sailplane reaches 200 meters or 30 seconds of motor run time, which ever comes first.
Just like TD, the CD the task time (usually 10 minutes).
There's also a landing task, just like TD.

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  8:51:28 PM  Show Profile
I have been following the discussions about ALES. Many of our club members have the device. And I am trying to orgaize our first ALES contest. But I have not seen or heard any discussion about including this in the Eastern Soaring League.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
Go to Top of Page

jwjsailplane

22 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  11:27:46 PM  Show Profile
Ed:
I'd like to have a ALES event at the SJSF field this Summer
We have July and Aug open for events.
I have to discuss with club members at this Tuesday's mtg.
What do you think?
Even with our trees our advice would be:
" Turn your motor on, take a zero, and save your plane."
John Jenks

John
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  08:25:42 AM  Show Profile
Let me be clear that I am a wincher all the way. But it is hard to ignore the convenience and ease of use of e-gliders.

Our club chose the Soraing Circuits CAM unit as our ALES standard, though we will allow others. But the CAM unit will allow you to turn back on after 3 seconds and after you drop below launch height.

So my philosophy is better to take a zero than lose the plane. If you drop in the woods you are going to take a zero anyway.

Some glider pureists will object to this. Let'em.

We will be having a club ALES contest the end of April. I already have 12 committed pilots. This would be larger than any club contest I can recall since I have been in the club.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  10:43:16 PM  Show Profile
We are finally planning to have our first ALES on 4/22. Will let you know how it goes. If the weather cooperates we should have 20 pilots.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Go to Top of Page

jwjsailplane

22 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  6:09:47 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to announce the First Annual South Jersey Silent Flyers ALES event held on Saturday July 21 at the SJSF field in Marlton, NJ.
This is an AMA sanctioned event and will start at 9:00 AM. It will generally follow the AMA Nats rules this year and any of the units that are listed in the Nats plus the new Winged Shadow unit will be permitted. We plan on having three Winged Shadow units available for sharing, and we have the programming unit for use. Expect 200M, 30 seconds, and MOM contest. $10 entry fee. Pictures as prizes to winners.
Call me for info. 856-983-7024

Ed:
Would you be able to post on the calendar?

John Jenks jwjenks@netzero.net

John
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  10:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Post what on the calendar? I don't think the ESL posts local electric soaring events on the ESL contest calendar. But that decision would not be mine anyway. I don't control the calendar.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  11:33:05 PM  Show Profile
Our club, The Long Island Silent Flyers, www.lisf.org , had our first ALES contest. We had 16 pilots and a boat load of fun. We invited the local power club to join in and there were two pilots from their club too.

We flew in 4 flight groups of 4 pilots each and flew 4 rounds. We had stock radians all the way to a high end moldies in the contest. We will be doing this on a monthly basis now. It will be interesting to see if we have similar turn-outs in the future.

We used the Soaring Circuits CAM units.

I had 5 landing tapes out, but 16 pilots divides evenly by 4. If we had flown 8 per round it would have created a VERY long flight line. Besides, I only had 7 tapes. And since this was our first ALES I decided that a group of 4 was a little easier to manage for our first time contest pilots.

I did not record what everyone was flying but, as I recall:

First place = electric Supra.
Second = kit built wood 2M RE Gnome electric
Third = Radian Pro
fourth = R/E wood aspire converted to electric

Not sure about the rest but there were probably more Radian's than any other plane. Note that it was a bit breezy. It averaged 7.2 mph but did gust over 15 from time to time. The task was 10 minutes all day but most flights were under 6 minutes.

Note that all four of the top pilots are seasoned contest pilots who fly in the Eastern Soaring League. As they say, it is the pilot, not the plane that wins the contest.

FWIW we started around 10 and finished 4 rounds around 1:15, I think.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  9:20:58 PM  Show Profile
Second ALES was 2 weeks ago. 13 pilots. Went very well. First place was a Radian, MINE! :)
Second was Pete N with his Nome 2M woody and third was Dimitri with his Radian Pro. We had some higher end planes but this week the low end wood and foamies took the day!

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  2:04:55 PM  Show Profile
Just an update to this topic.

LISF has been holding monthly ALES contests.

Each month LISF holds an unlimited TD, a RES, a Hand Launched/DLG and an ALES contest. The ALES has been the most popular of the group drawing 10 to 18 participants each month.

One of the reasons for this is that the recommended first glider is typically an e-glider and usually a Parkzone Radian, though some start on other e-gliders and some start on pure gliders. But the key is that most of our new members have e-gliders which are suitable for the contest, so they are eligable. Also many of our long standing members have e-gliders as well as pure gliders.

If the pilot is flying a STOCK Radian or Radian Pro, we also waive the requirement for a CAM/ALES device as we know these can not exceed 200 meters in 30 seconds. So the device barrier is removed.

A second reason is the contest is doing well is that, at the LISF field, new members are considered Novices until they pass a senior pilot's test. Well, you can fly the ALES contest even if you are a Novice, as long as one of the senior pilots will take charge of working with you at the contest as your timer. On the surface this might sound like a problem but it has turned out quite well. We recently had a Novice win 3rd place in the monthly ALES contest and subsequently receive his senior status. Now he is looking for a sailplane radio and took my Supra for a spin. His Dad is very proud and a bit concerned about the price tag for the Supra, but still quite happy with his son's growing interest in soaring.

As I do a lot of teaching, I always position pure gliders as a step up from electric gliders because of the added challenge of mastering new launch skills. This seems to be well received by the new pilots. Many have added a hi-start and some have purchased winches. A couple put hooks on their Radians. When they get good enough we encourage them to register for ESL contests as Novices.

Overall this is working out very well. We have even taken in new members specifically because they want to fly in our ALES events each montha as the ALES contest is only for members. And from what I read on the forums, many electric pilots are buying e-gliders and are getting hooked on thermal soaring. So even if you are a mixed electric/glider club, this could get more people into soaring.

I would encourage all ESL clubs to get a regular ALES contest going and treat is as a path to bigger and more challenging soaring activities.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  10:18:00 AM  Show Profile
LISF will hold our first ESL Electric Soaring event on May 24 and 25, 2014. Registration is on the main ESL web site, www.flyesl.org

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000