Open discussion
 molded fiberglass supra wing repair
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sullivan

12 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  7:40:30 PM  Show Profile
I had a mid air at about 50 ft and planted supra nose first into ground the outer wing panel has some wrinkles in it and seems to be structurally sound for now i have high started it afterwards...dont know if it will hold up to winch launch...is there a way to repair this? If so anyone have a idea? I will be at birdsboro both days and would appreciate some input....

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  8:21:18 PM  Show Profile
As long as the Spar is sound you are OK. Look for any separation between the upper and lower part of the wing.

The Spar is the strength. The skin is primarily the airfoil. My Supra has had wringles of minor amount for years, and I launch it hard.

Others have more elagent approaches. I will say try to straighten the skin whereever possible Then soak it with thin or medium foam safe CA. You want the CA to seep into the cracks and bond it all back together.

That is all that is needed for surface cracks. If you have holes or broken areas. Then clean it up as best you can. Bond it all with foam safe CA, then you can use glass or carbon to reform the skin.

Again, others are better at this than I am. But that is what I have done.

If the spar is sound, the wing is sound.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000