Contest Reports
 LISF - June 24 and 25 2017
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  09:38:45 AM  Show Profile
Despite a little rain Saturday morning, which stopped around 9:15 am as expected, the contest went off without a hitch.

We flew 8 rounds on Saturday and 7 rounds on Sunday.

Saturday - After the rain delay we got the contest going and everything ran smoothly. I don't recall a single line break.

The first round was reasonably calm and people were making their time. But in round 2 the wind came up. The longest flight in the second round was 5:30 and rounds were being won with 3 minute flights. These were challenging conditions.

From round 2 thorough 8 there was only one flight over 9 minutes. Thermals were hard to find and a lot of people were surfing ridge lift.

I don't recall specifics but I think we had gusts in excess of 20 mph. So there were many planes that did not make it back to the landing area but landed in the tall soft grass that surrounds our field. On more than on occasion someone did not get a good bead on the plane so it took a little help to find the plane. There were comments about hunting parties out hunting the wild Kevlar beast! :D

I am convinced Steve Lucke is a sorcerer. Ultimately he took first place by over 1000 points.

Scores will be posted on the ESL web site.

Top 3 Saturday

Expert Steve Lucke
Expert Chuck Robinett
Expert Peter Nicholson

Sportsman John Pinho
Sportsman Rudi Oudshoorn

Sunday - If you like ideal flying weather, this was the contest for you. A bit cooler, less humid and bright sunshine. Breezes were light, real AVA weather. In fact Rudi O was flying his AVA.

At the launch line the thermal indicators were clear. Lift was strong and a lot of people were making their times. Lots of good action in the landing area. It just doesn't get much better than this.

Beautiful!

Top positions from Sunday

Expert Steve Lucke
Expert Chuck Robinett
Expert George Hill

Sportsman John Pinho
Sportsman Rudi Oudshoorn

I want to thank everyone who came, for making this a fun event. My thanks to the LISF members who worked the contest and to the ESL members who also pitched in. Truly a shared effort.

Ed Anderson

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000