Open discussion
 Advancement points
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  3:52:45 PM  Show Profile
When we changed the rules to make all contests count for the End of Season standings, even if a contest has fewer than 20 entrants, we omitted to modify the advancement point rules to take this into account.

The problem is that for small contests you are more likely to get advancement points, no matter how well you fly, and if there are 10 or fewer entrants, you aguaranteed to make advancement points. This is not what we intended, so I have modified the calculation as follows:

If the contest has 20 or more entrants the rules don't change. The top 10 overall pilots get advancement points. 10 for the overall winner, 9 for the overall second place, etc. etc..

If the contest has fewer than 20 entrants I adjust the maximum number of advancement points proportionally and round down. If, for example, there are 11 entrants I first calculate 10*11/20, which is 5.5. I round this down to 5, which gives me the maximum number of advancement points. So the overall winner gets 5 points, the overall second place gets 4 points, and so on.

This may not be the final approach, but it does alleviate the problem.

Anker Berg-Sonne
ESL Score Keeper

Edited by - Anker on 09/19/2005 7:54:33 PM

Fritz

19 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  7:34:53 PM  Show Profile
Don't you mean that the overall winner gets 5, not 10 points?

-Fritz
Go to Top of Page

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  7:45:29 PM  Show Profile
Yes, of course. Hard to beat old habits!

Thanks for setting me straight. I edited the original posting so its correct!

Anker

Edited by - Anker on 09/19/2005 7:55:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

jsteifel

40 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  1:44:22 PM  Show Profile
I think part of this needs to come back to the meeting. I don't like the idea of having no minimums... But with the low turnout this year most contests were borderline on the old standard.

As another side effect, you had 3 experts competing in South Jersey.

To me this should have invalidated the points. I wound up going to keep things honest.

4 actually turned out... JJ himself... forgot about him. But it was still too low to declare a bonafide contest imho.

Jeff Steifel
Go to Top of Page

josh_glaab

50 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  11:41:59 AM  Show Profile
I like Ankers proposed changes. I think it addresses the issues with smaller contest sizes.

Thanks, Josh.
Go to Top of Page

tbroeski

24 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  05:51:04 AM  Show Profile
I think 5 minimum should still be a contest if registered and posted on the ESL and if the AMA forms are completed. That is the LSF minimum for II. Very lucky for those that do attend, since they have a better chance of more ESL points than at CASA or Reading.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000