ESL initiative 2005
 Masters and Recognition
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fritz

19 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  1:53:56 PM  Show Profile
After reading the various posts as to the formation of a Master’s class, I see that there is one constant that all of the respondents seem in agreement. There are 3-5 guys that consistently win at all of the contests. Tom Broeski’s idea is to propagate trophies past those who tend to collect them faster than they can burn them to heat their apartments, and to some lesser pilots who don’t mind displaying unearned plaques. The purpose of this was to give a greater incentive for the lesser pilots to continue competing even when they routinely get their butts kicked.
Here is an alternative suggestion:
In WWII pilots displayed kill markings when they bested the opponent. In the European theater, the US put swastikas on their planes, and in the Pacific, rising suns. The axis powers were more politically correct, with the Japanese merely drawing airplanes pointing down (see pictures of Kobayachi’s Ki-61 Hein), while the Germans just put vertical bars with letters as to the type of plane killed (see Adolf Galland’s ME-109E).
We start with 3 Masters: Tom, Mike and Josh: We give them each 50 kill stickers.. They can design these stickers however they want, such as a dot with the letter “T” on it, etc., but representative of that Master’s “Brand”. If the Master has difficulty coming up with a brand, I’m sure I, or any number of ESL members would help. Each sticker would be nominally 6mm (1/4”) in diameter.
At an ESL contest, anyone who beats the Master for the day receives a kill marking, awarded by the Master at the Award Ceremonies, and placed in a prominent place on Expert/Sportsman’s airplane. Any pilot who accumulates 5 such stickers in one year becomes an Ace, and 10 becomes a Master for the next year. Any Master who uses up all 50 stickers during the year returns to being a mere Expert the next year so that he has to beat up on the newly crowned Master during that next year.
The plusses for this idea:
1. It gives further incentives to experts for collecting “kills” even though they don’t feel they have a chance to win season championships.
2. It gives an Incentive to Masters who can no longer “let down” at any given contest.
3. It becomes a bragging right for the “In Your Face” crowd at the ESL contests.
4. There is no formal “Master’s Class” for the contest organization to worry about.
The only minus I can see may be that an undeserving Master, unequal to the challenge, may stop attending contests.

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  4:37:07 PM  Show Profile
Ah, now I can reply!

Interesting concept! And a fun one, too!

Anker
Go to Top of Page

Phil Barnes

100 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  4:59:45 PM  Show Profile
I like it!
Go to Top of Page

ljb0001

37 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  5:22:31 PM  Show Profile
I love it!!

Tom and Mike owe me a sticker a piece for my win yesterday! Where is that Josh Glaab hiding?

Luis
Go to Top of Page

kiesling

45 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  6:49:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by fritz

2. It gives an Incentive to Masters who can no longer “let down” at any given contest.

Luis,

Be careful what you wish for - because you might just get it

Tom
Go to Top of Page

F3jeb

103 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  7:02:43 PM  Show Profile
Fritz,

Excellent idea!

Worth trying, we just need Mike, Josh and Tom to sign-up. and from the post above I see Tom has NO reservations :)

Jose

Edited by - F3jeb on 10/10/2005 7:05:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

kansky

10 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  01:51:15 AM  Show Profile
Brilliant! I think that would be great.

The other side benefit is that the master's planes will eventually become laden with stickers due the all the infighting amongst the top three. The added weight and drag of the stickers will eventually create a self correcting system.
-Jan
Go to Top of Page

jsteifel

40 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  10:19:47 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kansky

Brilliant! I think that would be great.

The other side benefit is that the master's planes will eventually become laden with stickers due the all the infighting amongst the top three. The added weight and drag of the stickers will eventually create a self correcting system.
-Jan

Yep but we can start issuing stickers like the Roman numeral system
so you can replace 10 wins with a 10 win sticker...
I really like the idea myself. I thought Fritz was kidding at the meeting. I still feel the masters class is a bad idea, but the sticker idea is very good. Especially when I get out the Foamy for some combat...

Jeff Steifel
Go to Top of Page

ljb0001

37 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  8:02:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kiesling
Luis,

Be careful what you wish for - because you might just get it

Tom

Tom,

I know I have many more beatings coming my way . That's the beauty of Fritz's idea. We lose nothing when the Masters win but you just never know when that perfect day comes along when we can swoop out of the clouds and bag us a Master or two.

Luis
Go to Top of Page

mikel

106 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  11:07:09 PM  Show Profile
I have plenty of JR stickers for your models.
Go to Top of Page

paul

13 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  6:39:58 PM  Show Profile
i think fritz's idea is great. it has to infuse some extra fun into our already fun-filled contests. paul
Go to Top of Page

Fritz

19 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  1:24:21 PM  Show Profile
Mike said:
Posted - 10/11/2005 : 11:07:09 PM I have plenty of JR stickers for your models.

Now we just need 2 other insignias.
Here is a suggestion:

-Fritz

Image Insert:

4.08 KB

Edited by - Fritz on 10/18/2005 09:11:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

F3jeb

103 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  6:29:20 PM  Show Profile
The graphic before this one looked like an anti-JR sticker, which I am, but I am not the one giving stickers out.

We could use Avery labels to print them, and give each one of our targets a stack :-)

I think for this to work you would have to elaborate more on the concept, such as is only for fun, the minute someone starts trouble they'll get put on "double secret probation"

I suggest, in order for one of the top pilot to award a sticker they, the top pilot, must have finished all rounds, not have had any malfunctions. For instance if Mike explodes his plane on the winch then he would have to hand out many sticker - I think people would want one if they top pilot finished with out incident, there new term "the finish without incident" rule :-)

Jose

Edited by - F3jeb on 10/18/2005 6:29:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  7:11:28 PM  Show Profile
How about the score keeper being the keeper and distributor of these stickers? I know that's me, but it will relieve the three top guys (can't be the ones Fritz mentions, 'cause Tom, Phil and Mike are the three "top guns" - Josh, you need to go to more contests) of the responsibility to hold and distribute stickers.

Anker
Go to Top of Page

Phil Barnes

100 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  8:24:14 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest something like limiting the stickers to the top three guys who beat the master. that way if a master suffers a major malfunction like landing off field, etc. he doesn't have to give out a whole bunch of stickers at one time.
Go to Top of Page

F3jeb

103 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  9:45:34 PM  Show Profile
Anker, although a nice gesture, that would not work since you would have to be obligated to attend every contest, and for it to be fun, people would have to receive the sticker the day of the contest, the fun is based on instant gratification.

Edited by - F3jeb on 10/18/2005 9:47:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fritz

19 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  12:42:43 PM  Show Profile
Phil's idea of limiting stickers can be mitigated by giving the Master 5 new stickers every time he wins a contest. Let's say he starts off with 20, all he has to do is win 2 contests before he loses to 30 other people.

Anker pointed out that Phil should be a Master and not Josh, because Josh wimped out of attending 6 contests. I've therefore changed my suggested insignias to:

Image Insert:

3.72 KB

I think it is really up the duty of a Master to pass out his own kill markings. Anker can replenish the Master's supply based on contest wins.
Go to Top of Page

mikel

106 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  2:31:03 PM  Show Profile
I have some nice big 6" JR letters for anyone flying Airtronics gear.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000