Mantis Building and Flying
 Mylar
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a

4 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  06:04:01 AM  Show Profile
Looking for a supplier of .014 Mylar in the greater Boston area. I bought the Hiload 60 where suggested ( they still sell small quantities BTW) and now need the mylar. I know that CST sells it but am looking for local.

Jerry

Phil Barnes

100 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  3:22:47 PM  Show Profile
I don't believe you will find a local source for mylar. I bought a couple rolls a long time ago from a local plastic supplier but you had to buy full rolls (100' I think) and the price really wasn't much cheaper than ACP or CST. I once asked about buying full rolls from CST to see if the price might be less. They told me that they buy HUGE rolls of the stuff and so a full roll was out of the question. This is why you need to buy from the composites suppliers. They buy a basic composite building material like that in such large quantities that even with their markup you will not be able to beat their price buying in much smaller quantities.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

4 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  6:58:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Phil,
It isn't so much about getting it cheaper, I just don't really like mail order if there is a local source. I guess CST it is.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Tom Pack

8 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  8:25:41 PM  Show Profile
I have been using some new vinyl flashing at work.....it comes from Lowes and it is smooth and shinny on one side and and rough and dull on the other....I haven't tried a it yet for bagging but it looks like it might work real well....comes in 14" x 50' roll for $28.....it's in the roofing section with the other types of flashing.
Go to Top of Page

lincoln

49 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  9:48:46 PM  Show Profile
I've done a little bit of bagging with polyethylene sheet from AIN plastics. Don't know if they're still there or if they still carry the stuff. You have to be careful storing it as it will warp. Needs to be thicker than mylar as it's not as stiff a material. Maybe .025"? Not sure how much heat it will take. Doesn't need waxing. If you're going to wax it, has anyone tried very thin sheet metal?

For that matter, maybe you could just use aluminum sheet for the skin! I calculate that it would be about the same stiffness-weight ratio (in bending) as epoxy with woven e glass. Much stiffer for the weight than woven glass at 45, a little less than woven glass at 0/90. Of course, you'd have to make sure you had a reliable bond, and the leading edge might get interesting. And hitting power lines would be exciting, although carbon spars are probably also pretty exciting that way. I guess tailoring the thickness might get interesting.

FOr that matter, I ran some rough numbers on birch plywood, which seems to be quite competitive, at least in resisting buckling.

A quick check seems to indicate that plywood (45 degree orientation) would be comparable to woven e glass/epoxy (45 degreees) in shear stiffness, and aluminum would be much superior.

I think in practical use the ply would be more ding resistant. People used to use this stuff; I wonder why not anymore?

Lincoln Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000