josh_glaab

50 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  9:41:09 PM  Show Profile
Test test

josh_glaab

50 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  9:47:05 PM  Show Profile
Hello ESL!!

This year we will have the opportunity to fly F3J at the NATS. In 2009, Luis Bustamante, Steve Lucke, Neal Huffman and I had a great time flying F3J during the NATS. Flying F3J at the NATS was a very good tune-up for the F3J team selection for me and I really appreciated all the help. I also think the Luis, Steve, and Neal had a good experience too. It would be good to have another good showing for the ESL at the NATS and fly F3J. Please drop me a note and let me know if you are interested and I will coordinate the effort.

Thanks, Josh.

Edited by - josh_glaab on 12/21/2010 9:57:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  08:19:11 AM  Show Profile
I have never tried an F3J format. If you organize an F3J contest, let me know and I will try to attend. Are you talking 2 man tow or winches?

Hummm ... could an F3J format contest be a valid ESL contest? Never really gave it any thought. It is still a TD format with a different launch method, as I understand it. Are there other major differences?

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers

Edited by - aeajr on 12/23/2010 08:21:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

josh_glaab

50 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  1:26:46 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by aeajr

I have never tried an F3J format. If you organize an F3J contest, let me know and I will try to attend. Are you talking 2 man tow or winches?

Hummm ... could an F3J format contest be a valid ESL contest? Never really gave it any thought. It is still a TD format with a different launch method, as I understand it. Are there other major differences?

Go to Top of Page

josh_glaab

50 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  1:31:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by josh_glaab

quote:
Originally posted by aeajr

We have had F3J contests in the ESL before. They do require a lot more overhead than our nominal ESL contest format. It might be nice to have an F3J contest but use winches instead. The big difference would then be the simultaneous launching and the possible re-launching.
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  6:32:36 PM  Show Profile
Could be an interesting way to do one day at one of the ESL contests in DB. If you spread the winches wide apart I think people would be open to it.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
Go to Top of Page

josh_glaab

50 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  10:00:17 PM  Show Profile
This is a note to start the ball rolling regarding the ESL’s (and friends of the ESL) F3J effort for 2011. First of all, there are two major F3J competitions this year. One of them is the NATS in July and the other is the US Team Selection (TS) that will likely be held on Labor Day weekend. The location for the TS is TBD. In addition, there are plans to have several F3J practice sessions, likely at Frank Thompson’s Horsefeathers airport in Warrenton, VA.
I would like to help coordinate the ESL’s efforts for both of these of these events. Several of you have indicated an interest in participating in F3J this season. If there are others that may be interested, please let me know.
ESL NATS F3J:

At this time, the NATS F3J competition is going to be run in a mixed-mode allowing both human-tow as well as winch launched competitors to enter. Having winch-launching is very attractive as it really decreases the cost as well as the complexity of the event. We would need to come-up with two F3B winches for each team. The NATS F3J allows up to 4 person teams with all age classes flying together. At this point, it would be good to enter the NATS and identify the ESL as the team. Down the road, like in May/June we can get more specific about team composition. I think we may have more than 1 team. In 2009, the ESL entered on CH-49. Since then, most of us (including me) have moved to 2.4. We need to decide which freq to select. I suggest to go with CH-49 since we still have that equipment, but need to know what you all think.

Regarding the ESL flyers for the NATS, I know that I am planning on attending. I have had strong responses from Luis, Steve, and Tony so far. I plan on contacting James Gifferth too. He flew the NATS last year and may be interested. Neal is expecting to be a new-Dad in May, so his 2011 season is a little tbd, but has indicated he is “in” at this time. David Bradley has also expressed interest in F3J. Josh Jr. has also expressed a desire to fly on the ESL team. He will have a scratch-and-dent Supra in a few days and we will see how that goes.

1) Josh Glaab Sr
2) Luis Bustamante
3) Steve Lucke
4) Neal Huffman (?)
5) Tony Guide
6) James Gifferth (?)
7) David Bradly (?)
8) Josh Glaab Jr (?)
9) Ed Anderson (?)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked