Eastern Soaring Talk
Eastern Soaring Talk
Home | Active Topics | Search | FAQ

Please register to post in these Forums
 All Forums
 General Soaring - Not exclusive to ESL
 The Novice Lounge
 Threading servo cables thru pre-build wings?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johowell

2 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  7:57:48 PM  Show Profile
Anyone got vectors to techniques for threading servo cables w/ extension connectors thru pre-build wing structures?

A newbie returnee would appreciate any guidance you might have.

TIA,
Jim Howell

Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL
AMA 545805

dbeach

50 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  1:14:04 PM  Show Profile
Jim, the best technique is to remove the connectors first. In the picture below use a blade or tiny screwdriver to lift the retaining tab for the pins. Pull the pins one at a time, and if you are careful the end can be put back on after the wires have been routed.

Insert Image:

To route the wires I typically use a long steel pushrod to guide a piece of string through the wing. Then pull the wire out, tape the string to the servo wires, and pull the wires through.

David
Go to Top of Page

johowell

2 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  2:52:17 PM  Show Profile
David,
Thanks for the guidance. I had about decided that getting rid of all connectors was just about mandatory. That'll require splicing the extension onto the servo side. Your comments should provide enough info for the wiring at the inboard end.
Thank you,
Jim

Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL
AMA 545805
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  10:33:06 AM  Show Profile
Naturally it depends on how large the openings are. Some wood wing structures leave a pretty big hole for the servo wires and you can get them through easily. I have taped them to a piece of push rod/music wire and fed them through. Or I have used some stiff wire, like #14 solid electric wire used for household wiring. You can carry the servo wire though or just fish a string/thread through which you use as a drag.

Sometimes you can remove the connector without damaging the pins in the plug, but if you have to cut the connector off than you are going to have to solder or you have to use a connector kit to make a new end. This is the one I use.
http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/connectors/connectorkits/ck_drcck1/

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000