Mantis Building and Flying
 TRADITIONAL T-TAIL MANTIS
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Larry Ruble

13 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  5:34:55 PM  Show Profile
I'VE JUST ABOUT COMPLETED THE BUILD,BUT HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS, AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS THIS PLANE FLYING AND COULD HELP ME. (I'D PUT UP PICTURES BUT I DON'T HAVE A DIGITAL CAMERA.)

1. I ASSUME THE WING ENDPOINT SETTINGS ARE THE SAME AS THE V-TAIL MANTIS, BUT HAS ANYONE TESTED AND COME UP WITH RUDDER AND ELEVATOR END POINTS (UP&DOWN%'S)

2. TOW HOOK POSITION AND CG FOR THIS VERSION?

3. ELEVATOR COMPENSATION DURING FLAP DEPLOYMENT?

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

LARRY RUBLE
MIST, MUNCIE, IN

Phil Barnes

100 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  11:19:39 PM  Show Profile
Here are some numbers for my cross tail Aegea Mantis;

Elevator deflection; 11/16" up 5/8" down.

Elevator deflection with full flap deflection; 1/2" down.

Rudder deflection with left stick; 1 1/2" left and right.

Rudder deflection with right stick (via aileron to rudder mix);
1 1/8" left and right.

C.G. is 4 1/4" back from wing leading edge. Tow hook is close to C.G. position but this should be set depending on how aggresively you want to launch.

The above numbers were arrived at by just flying the model. I tend not to do much "trimming" of airplanes. I just initially program the throws so they look about right and then just fly the plane. I'll change something if it is grossly off but frequently never change the initial trim/throw settings. This is because I don't generally see any difference in model behavior when I make such changes. I am sure that the the numbers above were arrived at in this same casual way so you should not consider them to be optimized in any way.

Mark Drela posted some technical analysis comparing the V-tail to the Cross tail and listed exactly how to program the cross tail to behave just like the V-tail. If you are interested in matching the flying behavior of the new cross tail model to the behavior of an existing V-tail model then you may want to check this out. Look at the "C.G. location for the Aegea Mantis" thread (on page two of this forum as I write this).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000