Mantis Building and Flying
 Aegea epoxy types, separation of skins at hinge
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

lincoln

49 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  2:35:45 PM  Show Profile
Anyone know what kind of epoxy Terry used for the pretty Mantis fuse? How about how to tell if my Aegea's wing was made by Phil and what type of epoxy was used there?

Also, has anyone got a good solution for when the wing skin separates a bit from the core right next to the hinge? I can glue it back down, I suppose, but what about prevention? At the rudder, I just sewed the sides together, but that's ugly.

How about when the hinge wears out? Book tape?

Now that I've been flying it a bit, I like the way the Aegea handles. But I'm sure it will fly better as I tune it up more.

Thanks

Lincoln Ross

Duane

24 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  2:57:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lincoln

Also, has anyone got a good solution for when the wing skin separates a bit from the core right next to the hinge? I can glue it back down, I suppose, but what about prevention? At the rudder, I just sewed the sides together, but that's ugly.

I tried someone's suggestion to poke a lot of tiny holes through the skin with a needle and put drops of foam-safe thin CA on the holes to rebond the skin. It worked ok but left the finish a bit ugly after using a piece of waxed paper to press the skin down. Another skin delam repair resulted in the hinge tearing soon after, probably because I got too much CA in the hinge, making the fibers brittle.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864003

quote:
How about when the hinge wears out? Book tape?

Yes, or 3M Blenderm or Don Richmond's hinge tape.
http://www.hilaunch.com/Wing_tape.htm

Duane
CASA, FARM, LSF III #7971
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000