F3J Team Selection
 2011 F3J team selection.
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

josh_glaab

50 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  9:56:10 PM  Show Profile
This is a year for the US to select an F3J team. The US team selection contest usually occurs on Labor Day weekend and we need some help for the ESL F3J team effort. In the past, Tom Kiesling, Mike Lachowski, Phil Barnes and I have h ad strong ESL teams. However, this year Mike is occupied with F3B and Tom has some plans with his new friends in San Diego. Please let me know if you are interested in supporting practices, flying at the NATS and/or team selection or if you are interested in helping out at the NATS or team selection. I definitely need a lot of help.

Thanks, Josh.

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  08:20:31 AM  Show Profile
When and where. Those will be key factors for me.

I don't plan to attend the NATs but that could change.

Are you talking 2 man tow or winches?

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers

Edited by - aeajr on 12/23/2010 08:21:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

josh_glaab

50 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  10:01:46 PM  Show Profile
ESL TS F3J:
The F3J Team Selection is a step-up from the NATS F3J as well as nominal ESL TD contests. The competition is more significant. However, there is usually a cross-section of capability from equivalent to our top Sportsflyers up to world-champion capabilities. In general, the top 10 are pretty tough and the top 5 is really tight. Outside of that, there is a good opportunity for pilot development as well as to see the top-pilots go toe-to-toe.

Given the departure of Tom Kiesling and Mike Lachowski from the ESL’s F3J effort, we really need help to make a competitive F3J team. Like the NATS, 4-person teams are what is expected for the TS. However, unlike the NATS, if there are enough Juniors, then they will fly in a separate flight group. In that way, a team could have 5 pilots if one was a Junior. Also unlike the NATS, human-tow is required. Given a good competitive team, I consider that I have a shot at the US F3J team. Competitive F3J teams have very good sailplane throw-ers, tow-ers, and spotters as well as pilots. We need to consider the team for each pilot since we need two tow-ers, and a throw-er and spotter. The throw-er/spotter is usually the same person. At this point, we may be a little light in the throwing department when I am flying depending on who makes it to the F3J TS, but please let me know. Asterixes indicate very strong capabilities. Double ** indicate world-class. Please let me know where I am missing different capabilities, just trying to get us into good shape and see what we need to work on and did not want to show disrespect to anyone. I think at this point we have 4 for the TS but may need to backup Neal. Reto has the F3K World Champs and Marc Gellart may be up for flying with us if the TS is in Chicago. Much more to come.

1) Josh Glaab Sr. (Throw*, Spot**, Tow*)
2) Phil Barnes (Spot*, Tow**)
3) Gavin Trussel (Tow**)
4) Neal Huffman (?) (Throw, Spot*)
5) Marc Gellart (?) (Throw, Spot*, Tow)
6) Reto Fiolko (?) (Throw*, Spot*, Tow*)
Go to Top of Page

mikel

106 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  11:57:43 AM  Show Profile
There are two bids for F3j team selections. Sept 2-5 (Labor Day Weekend) near Chicago. This was the site of a past F3j team selection. And October 28-30 in Cocoa Florida.

If you are interested in attending either or one of them causes you a problem in attending, please let your FAI district rep know which way you would want to see the voting go. That's Fritz Bien for District 1, Mike Lachowski for District 2, Josh Glaab for District 4, Tom Kiesling is still acting as District 3 rep.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000