F3K rules and ESL HLG contests
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  11:40:19 AM  Show Profile
Guys,
I was reading on RCGroups that there are now accepted F3K rules.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661597

Will we be using them for our DLG contests?

If they won't but will be modified, what will the oficial rules be?

Will we have official rules for HLG contests or is it site dependant?

I would like to maintain ESL standards however they are defined for LISF's HLG contest so I ask this so I may prepare for what the F3K rules will now state.

Thank you

Sincerely,
Frank Nisita

Edited by - Fly2High on 03/27/2007 11:41:14 AM

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  7:20:48 PM  Show Profile
The ESL doesn’t mandate what tasks to fly that is up to the CD and contest rules fallow AMA. (ESL members are just fussy about time a contest starts and when it ends on Sunday) Having said that, DLG is young, and it would be a good idea if CD would start integrating some of the F3K tasks and rules into their contest soon, this would mean an easier transition when trying to qualify for F3K

Jose
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  07:41:27 AM  Show Profile
From what I have done and have seen, we already are following the majority of the rules newly mandating (I could be naive and wrong though). The only difference might be in the addition of a few different tasks.
Frank
Go to Top of Page

Phil Barnes

100 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  09:52:18 AM  Show Profile
The following is a copy and paste from Terry Edmonds' report from the CIAM meeting. I've only copied the bits that deal with F3K:

---------------------------------------------------

F3K

b) Class F3K RC Hand Launch Gliders
Adopted effective 01/01/08. There is an amended rewording of the new rules but I don’t have them in electronic form at the moment. I will post the new version when I get them.

c) Class F3K (Provisional) – RC Hand Launch Gliders
Adopted effective 01/01/08.
Note; the proposal passed as presented but the proposal was to change the class from provisional status to official status. We know the intend was to also raise the status to world champs with a 2008 event but that should have been another proposal which was not on the agenda. The soaring technical meeting did unanimously recommend the later as well but it did not get approval in the plenary. Other objections in the plenary were the rules were just approved for overhaul and bids for a world champs are suppose to be approved two years in advance. The good news is the event is well on its way to WC status and it is likely only a matter of time.

------------------------------------------------------

I think it would be a good idea for our hand launch contests to start using the new tasks that will for sure be a big part of international contests. These tasks are the Last Flight task, the Last And Next to Last Flight Counts task and the All Up Last Down task.

It is not as important to use all of the specific other rules. Some of those rules, I think, are aimed at larger international events and local contests will likely not follow them. These rules are things like the transmitter impound, providing official timers, etc. Some of the rules were ambiguous as written and I look forward to seing the amendments that hopefully cleared that up. Also the rules aren't even effective until January 2008. Like jeb said, we don't really follow FAI F3K rules at our hand launch contests we follow AMA rules. I think it is likely possible to follow a rules set that is in keeping with AMA rules but that also keeps our contests in step with the important F3K rules though. The most important thing is to start using the tasks that I mentioned so that US competitors grow up being familiar with the FAI tasks and we are not handicapped by being forced to learn new tasks when we move up to international competition. The specific rules as to how the contests are run are somewhat less important although we should taylor our contests as much as possible to follow those as well. I think those rules are still somewhat in flux and not well understood though. I will be getting a better idea of how international F3K contests are run as I attend Eurotour events so I'll be sure to let you know what I find out. Just from reading the new German rules set I couldn't even tell you what some of the new rules meant. That will all become clear in time though.
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Phil,

Thanks!!! I definitely plan on including the those tasks you listed in LISF's HL contest. I will be listening intently to what you find out in your Euro-Tour travels and hope to add to/upgrade our repetiore ASAP. I will continue to review both AMA and F3K rule sets and see what I can do so that all attendees can become familiar with the F3K rules and tasks without diverting too much from AMA requirements.

Thanks again for helping keep all of us current with the F3K rules and contest information.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:36:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Fly2High
The only difference might be in the addition of a few different tasks.
Frank

Frank, There is the difference... keep you eyes open, your contest is not for sometime, so implementing some of the new task is not going to be a big deal from your end, There will be a lot more talk as the German Open gets closer; I think you had a good idea in starting this thread, as you learn about the tasks and with the help from people like Phil and others we can discuss what would be beneficial for the ESL and also elaborate on how some of those new tasks work and how to fly them...

Jose
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  07:57:53 AM  Show Profile
Could we discuss what F3K rules we might not need to follow or that are in violation of AMA rules?
For example the requirement for a radio impound (often too few pilots and everyone is on a separate channel at most of our contests).

I will continue to re read AMA and F3K rules myself.
thanks guys for the assist on this!
Frank
Go to Top of Page

Phil Barnes

100 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:08:02 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it is important to adopt the F3K rules. We can just keep flying the hand launch contests as we have been doing. The only thing that makes a material difference is the tasks. As long as we include the popular F3K tasks in our task list then we are effectively flying the same type of contest.

The only F3K rule that I see that might make a material difference to how the contest runs is the rule that states you must return the first model to the flying field before going to a backup model. I'm not sure I would want to impose that rule at our contests though, I would leave that up to each contest director.
Go to Top of Page

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:19:20 AM  Show Profile
A quick comment on scoring:

As long as the CD reports the results back as a number of points for each contestant, where the number of points determine the standing of the competitors, I can score for the end of season standings.

Where I run into confusion is sometimes when there is a flyoff for the top placements. I have at times received results for contests where I could not reduce the end results into the competitor/points format because of a flyoff.

You can reports the reults in the competitor/points format even with flyoffs, the CD just needs to be aware of this requirement.

Anker
ESL score keeper
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  10:04:14 AM  Show Profile
Anker,
I do not forsee LISF's HL conest needing it but, I do not understand how the flyoff scores are handled for your scoring needs?

Isn't it possible for you to have a 6 man flyoff where the lowest scoring man of the 6 actually wins by a narrow margin in the flyoff?
Ex.
Tom 8000, John 7990,Mark 7989,Lou 7988, Tony 7987, Dan 7600 are the total scores from the regular contest
The fly off generated the following
Tom 2990, John 2990,Mark 2989,Lou 2988, Tony 2987, Dan 3000

if you were to add up the scores
Tom 10990, John 10980,Mark 10978,Lou 10976, Tony 10974, Dan 10600

Dan won the fly off, if scores are not carried over.

Anker, How do we issue you the scores?

Frank

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000